Pilot/Renewal Updates 2012-2013
Updated 4:30PM Eastern 5/21 with the latest As we head into the most infamous week in Network scheduling, the UpFront week, I, like many other bloggers, think now is the time to update everyone on where our favorite shows stand as of end of day yesterday (in order of upfront presentation schedule).
NBC has announced their 2012/2013 Fall Schedule!
Officially canceled/ending: ARE YOU THERE CHELSEA?, AWAKE, BENT, BEST FRIENDS FOREVER, CHUCK, FREE AGENTS, HARRY’S LAW, PRIME SUSPECT, THE FIRM, THE PLAYBOY CLUB
Pilots given series orders:
- 1600 PENN – Josh Gad, Bill Pullman, Jenna Elfman, and Martha MacIsaac star in this comedy set at the White House.
- ANIMAL PRACTICE – Justin Kirk stars as a veterinarian with HOUSE-ian tendancies – loves animals; hates their owners. Tyler Labine, Bobby Lee, and Amy Huberman co-star.
- GO ON – Matthew Perry stars as a sportscaster who tries to move on from loss, and finds solace from the members of his mandatory group-therapy sessions. This, combined with Anne Heche’s new show, looks to be fast tracked for a “right after The Olympics” premiere.
- HANNIBAL – Brian Fuller’s series about Hannibal Lecter, starring Hugh Dancy. Already has a 13 episode order.
- THE NEW NORMAL – a new show from Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler about a blended family of a gay couple and the woman who becomes a surrogate for them as they grow their family. Ellen Barkin and Nene Leakes will costar.
- SAVE ME – This comedy stars Anne Heche as a woman who, after an accident, believes she is channeling god. Alexa Junge is in talks to show-run! This, combined with Matthew Perry’s new show, looks to be fast tracked for a “right after The Olympics” premiere.
- REVOLUTION – an epic adventure thriller where a family struggles to reunite in a post-apocalyptic American landscape: empty cities, local militias and freedom fighters, blacked out technology, you name. It’s from the minds of Eric Kripke and JJ Abrams so it could be good!
- CHICAGO FIRE – Jesse Spencer stars in this one, described as an “action-driven drama exploring the complex and heroic men and women of the Chicago Fire Department.” HUGE cast: Eamonn Walker, Taylor Kinney, Monica Raymund, David Eigenberg, Charlie Barnett, Lauren German, Teri Reeves and Merle Dandridge co-star.
- GUYS WITH KIDS – Anthony Anderson, Jesse Bradford, and Zach Cregger as three 30-something guys “who enjoy the adventures of parenting despite the fact they haven’t grown up themselves.” Also stars Jamie-Lynn Sigler, Sara Rue, and Tempestt Bledsoe.
- DO NO HARM – Steven Pasquale stars in this drama (that Deadline reports has been picked up for 13 eps)as a brilliant neurosurgeon who is essentially Mr Hyde sometimes and Dr Jekyll others
- INFAMOUS (fka NOTORIOUS) – Meagan Good plays a female detective who returns undercover to the wealthy family she grew up around, as their maid, to investigate the murder of the “notorious” heiress she was close to.
- NEXT CALLER PLEASE – A gender comedy that revolves around a brash alpha male DJ (Dane Cook) and his feminist co-host (Collette Wolfe) set in the office of a satellite radio station.
FOX has announced their Fall 2012 Schedule!
Officially renewed: AMERICAN DAD (through 2013-2014), BOB’S BURGERS, BONES, FAMILY GUY (through 2013-2014), FRINGE, GLEE, NEW GIRL, RAISING HOPE, THE CLEVELAND SHOW, THE SIMPSONS, THE X FACTOR, TOUCH
Officially canceled/ending: ALCATRAZ, ALLEN GREGORY, BREAKING IN, HOUSE, I HATE MY TEENAGE DAUGHTER, NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE, TERRA NOVA, THE FINDER
Pilots given series orders:
- THE MINDY PROJECT (fka IT’S MESSY) – the horrible title given to the new show created, written, and starring Mindy Kaling as an OBG who is great at her job but terrible at her love life. Ed Helms guest stars in the pilot.
- BEN & KATE (fka NED FOX IS MY MANNY) – officially “The pilot, directed by Jake Kasdan, centers on a free spirited guy (Nat Faxon) who, under the guise of being his niece’s nanny, moves in with his type “A,” tightly wound sister (Dakota Johnson) and in the process will help her re-enter the world.”
- THE GOODWIN GAMES – comedy from the HIMYM folks that centers on a man who passes and leaves his fortune to his three adult children, as long as they agree to his weird terms. Scott Folly, Becki Newton, Jake Lacey, and Felisha Terrell star.
- THE MOB DOCTOR – Jordana Spiro stars in this drama as a talented thoracic surgeon who has to juggle two lives – juggling her career with her life long debt to the Chicago mob. Zach Gilford and William Forsythe costar.
- THE FOLLOWING (working title)– Kevin Bacon, who signed on for 15 episodes, stars as an ex-FBI agent Ryan Hardy leading the search for evil Joe Carroll (James Purefoy), who has created a cult of serial killers.
ABC has released their schedule for 2012/2013.
Officially renewed: AMERICA’S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS, BODY OF PROOF, CASTLE, CELEBRITY WIFE SWAP, DANCING WITH THE STARS, DON’T TRUST THE B IN APT 23, GREY’S ANATOMY, HAPPY ENDINGS, LAST MAN STANDING, MODERN FAMILY, ONCE UPON A TIME, PRIVATE PRACTICE, REVENGE, SHARK TANK, SUBURGATORY, THE BACHELOR, THE BACHELORETTE, THE MIDDLE, SCANDAL, WIFE SWAP
Officially canceled/ending: CHARLIE’S ANGELS, COUGAR TOWN (moving to TBS), DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION, GCB, MISSING, PAN AM, THE RIVER, WORK IT!, MAN UP
Pilots given series orders:
- MISTRESSES – Yunjin Kim, Jes Macallan, Alyssa Milano, and Rochelle Aytes star in this show based on the British series of a similar format which follows the turbulent love lives of four different women.
- THE NEIGHBORS – Single-camera project, from Dan Fogelman, centers on Marty Weaver (Lenny Venito) who, in order to give his kids a better life than he had, moves his family — wife Debbie (Jami Gertz) and three children — to an exclusive, lush, curiously affordable gated community in New Jersey, which has only one drawback: everyone else living there is an alien from Planet Zabvron.
- THE FAMILY TOOLS – A half-hour comedy based on a British series revolving on a man forced to put his dreams on hold in order to take over his family handyman business. Perennial one-season-wonder Kyle Bornheimer stars.
- RED WIDOW (fka PENOZA) – Radha Mithcell stars in this drama based on a Dutch series about the widow of an assassinated criminal, forced to take her husband’s role in a crime syndicate in order to protect her remaining family. Lee Tergesen, one of my favorites, also stars
- NASHVILLE – there is nothing to dislike about this one – Connie Britton, Powers Booth, and Eric Close star in a family soap set in the Nashville music scene. Connie is a star at her peak; Hayden Penettiere stars as a starlet on the rise.
- ZERO HOUR – Anthony Edwards stars as a man who’s spent 20 years as the editor of a skeptics magazine who is then launched into one of the most compelling conspiracies in human history. Scott Michael Foster (CAPPIE!!) and Michael Nyqvist star.
- 666 PARK AVENUE – Dave Annable and Rachael Taylor star as a couple who accept an offer to manage an historic apartment building in NY, and immediately, they start experiencing supernatural occurrences. This one is based on a book, and co stars Terry O’Quinn, Vanessa Williams, Mercedes Masohn, Robert Buckley, and Helena Mattsson. Dr Dave (Erik Palladino) guest stars in the pilot!
- HOW TO LIVE WITH YOUR PARENTS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE – Sarah Chalke stars as a single mom forced to move back in with her parents – Elizabeth Perkins and Brad Garrett – who have a love of life but not boundaries.
- LAST RESORT – Shawn Ryan is one of my favorites, and he created this one about the crew of a US nuclear submarine who are told to launch a missile and ignore it. They are hunted, and find themselves at a NATO outpost, declaring themselves the world’s smallest nuclear nation. The cast is insane – Andre Braugher, Scott Speedman, Autumn Reeser, Jessy Schram, Dichen Lachman, the list goes on. This is one to watch!
- MALIBU COUNTRY – REBA is back!!! Reba stars as a woman who moves her mother (Lily Tomlin) and three kids from Nashville to Malibu after her “good ‘ol boy” rock star hubby cheats on her, and burns through their money. She then tries to reignite her own singing career. Interestingly enough, Sara Rue stars in this one FIRST POSITION to other pick up GUYS WITH KIDS (on NBC), so she’s out of that show, for this one!
CBS’ has announced their 2012 fall schedule!
Officially renewed: 2 BROKE GIRLS, BIG BANG THEORY, BLUE BLOODS, CRIMINAL MINDS, CSI, CSI: NY, HAWAII FIVE-0, HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, MIKE & MOLLY, NCIS, NCIS: LA, PERSON OF INTEREST, RULES OF ENGAGEMENT, THE GOOD WIFE, THE MENTALIST, TWO AND A HALF MEN
Officially canceled: A GIFTED MAN, CSI: MIAMI, HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN, NYC-22, ROB, UNFORGETTABLE
Pilots given series orders:
- PARTNERS – half hour comedy series from the creators of WILL & GRACE about their real life gay guy/straight guy friendship. Michael Urie (yay!), Sophia Bush, David Krumholtz, and Brandon Routh star.
- FRIEND ME – another comedy starring Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Nicholas Braun as twenty-something best friends and complete opposites who move from their hometown of Bloomington, Indiana to Los Angeles to begin their exciting new lives working at Groupon.
- ELEMENTARY – Jonny Lee Miller stars as a modern day Sherlock Holmes and Lucy Liu stars as his Watson in this drama. Heard this script is incredible!
- VEGAS – an amazing cast – Dennis Quaid, Michael Chiklis, Jason O’Mara, Carrie Ann Moss – stars in this period piece set in the 1960s centered around the true story of Ralph Lamb (Quaid) – rodeo cowboy turned longtime Sheriff of Las Vegas.
- MADE IN JERSEY – Janet Montgomery (meh; heard she polled high, but I’m not a fan), stars as a working class woman who uses her street smarts to compete with polished colleagues at a Manhattan law firm.
- GOLDEN BOY – This was the show Ryan Phillippe originally was in, then left. Theo James took over as a cop on a meteoric rise from officer to detective to Police Commissioner.
- THE JOB – another Mark Burnett / Mike Davies reality show, this one is hosted by Lisa Ling, and features 5 contestants who fight against each other for a job at one of the most prestigious companies in the country.
THE CW has announced their schedule for 2012-2013.
Officially renewed: 90210, GOSSIP GIRL, HART OF DIXIE, NIKITA, SUPERNATURAL, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES
Officially canceled/ending: ONE TREE HILL, RINGER, THE SECRET CIRCLE
Nothing official one way or the other but probably canceled: THE LA COMPLEX
Pilots given series orders:
- CARRIE DIARIES – the prequel to the SEX AND THE CITY books by Candace Bushnell, Anna Sophia Robb stars as 16 year old Carrie Bradshaw.
- ARROW – Stephen Amell stars as Oliver Queen, a billionaire playboy who now fights crime as the vigilante super hero Green Arrow. With NIKITA being renewed, there’s a perfect combination, right??
- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST – Kristen Kreuk (ugh) stars as Linda Hamilton to Jay Ryan (TERRA NOVA)’s Ron Perlman in this adaptation loosely based on the 80s version of the same name. This one has a procedural twist to it that features Kristen’s character as a cop, and Jay’s character as a casualty of a botched military experiement.
- CULT – this show took a long way to get made – it’s a pilot for years ago that had been passed on. Jessica Lucas and Matt Davis co star. Davis is Jeff and Lucas is Skye. Jeff’s brother Nate went missing after constantly telling Jeff about his crazy conspiracies. With Nate gone, Jeff stars to believe him and finds out the weird things going on around the show CULT. Syke is a research assistant for the show, and she, too, is starting to suspect the weird things that are happening. They team up to figure out what exactly is going on. Additionally, Robert Knepper and Alona Tal star as the stars of the show within a show.
- FIRST CUT – Mamie Gummer (LOVE HER) stars as a girl with a geeky past who has graduated med school and stars a job at Denver Memorial Hospital. Little does she know – the real world is just like high school. She’s there to work with her inspiration Dr Gina Beckett (Necar Zadegan – more importantly DINA ARAZ from 24), her med school crush Will is an intern, too (Justin Hartley), and her high school nemesis is there to make her life a living hell. I’m thinking HART OF DIXIE, FIRST CUT for an all medical night – who’s with me? Michael Rady and Kelly McCreary also star.