Courtney K is taking a look back on her favorites from 2011 – how do these stack up to yours?
DOCTOR WHO – where HAVE I been?? In a world with faded colors that’s where. Becoming a Doctor Who fan (or Whovian) has brought me a whole mess of new appreciations. Much like fans of Army of Darkness or Firefly, there’s hidden jokes in almost everything I watch or read that all point back to one Doctor or another. With the infinite amount of storyline ideas, this is a show I can feel good about watching because it’s really never going to end. Even if it does, it’ll be available to pick up again and again.
- MY BIG FAT GYPSY WEDDING – from the intelligible accents to the enormous dresses that cost more than my car, this show was a major find.
- MAN VS FOOD: I love to watch this show when I’m at the gym. No really, the huge portions actually gross me out and make my stomach hurt. Watching him eat food so spicy his eyes swell shut makes the time on the elliptical machine just fly on by!
- PRETTY LITTLE LIARS – from the plot to the fashions, this show dishes it out and I LOOOOOVE every delicious minute! I’m fully invested in the characters and am chomping at the bit for the January premiere!
- SWITCHED AT BIRTH: It’s so very dramatic, but heartfelt. I adore it.
HAPPY ENDINGS – the name offended me so I didn’t watch it the first time out, but Amrie convinced me to watch just one episode and I ended up a huge fan! The writing, the acting, I absolutely love it. I’m so glad it got picked up!
Favorite Show I didn’t like at first but then became addicted to:
REVENGE – It’s the come-uppence that I love. The sense of justice at your hand for those who’ve wronged you, it’s a treat to watch Amanda/Emily take everyone down in the most unbelievably creative ways, all while smiling that Hamptons smile. In addition to the cunning, there’s a murder that’s yet to be and the killer has yet to be revealed. All the cards are suspended in the air and dropping into place ever so slowly. It’s kept me on the edge of my seat!
ONCE UPON A TIME and GRIMM: Both shows are fairy tale based and that’s where their simularities stop. As I wrote about during their premieres, they are two very different shows so there’s nothing wrong with liking them both.
Favorite show that lived up to the hype:
ALPHAS – holy bikes does this show rock! The characters are likeable and believable, the powers are identifiable, there’s intrigue and heart; this show really surpassed what I thought it would be and I’m anxiously waiting it’s second season.
- AMERICAN HORROR STORY: This show gives me a grade A case of the heebie jeebies. Even though there’s been copious amounts of man-behind shown (thank you Dylan McDermott!), there’s been so many moments of “Wow, that is SO MESSED UP!!!” that I can’t help but watch it even if I don’t like it.
- CRIMINAL MINDS – beloved characters, believable crimes, I am a huge fan of this show and breathe sigs of relief when they figure out and catch the bad guys.
Favorite show that broke my heart:
RESCUE ME – this show made me bawl my head off on a weekly basis. End of line. *sniffle sniffle*
Favorite show that broke the characters hearts:
SUPERNATURAL – COME ON!! Haven’t they been through enough??? What next, really WHAT MORE CAN YOU DO TO THEM?? *throws hands in the air* I can’t even talk about it.
Favorite show that used an iconic era:
PAN AM: the fashion, the sexism, the racism, the music, the espionage! I want this show to succeed. I really really do. It’s got the guts, it just needs a steady audience.
Favorite show I bet you aren’t watching:
PRIME SUSPECT: this show kicks ass but the network is barely eeking out commercials for it anymore. I fear that it’s not long for our DVR world. Sucks too, it’s so good. SO GOOD!
What are some of your favorites from the year?