DVD Review: THE LEAGUE: The Final Fantasy
What they tell us: “Shenanigans ensue for the last time as Taco, Ruxin, Pete, Jenny, Kevin, and Andre make their final attempt to win the elusive Shiva trophy in season 7, the final season, of The League. To be a fan of The League, you don’t need to know much about fantasy football, or sports at all. You just need to have friends that you hate. The ensemble comedy follows a group of old friends in a fantasy football league who care very deeply… about beating each other for bragging rights. The League was created by the husband-and-wife team of Jeff Schaffer (Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld) and Jackie Marcus Schaffer (Disturbia, Eurotrip) who serve as executive producers and directors. The series is produced by FX Productions. The League features an ensemble cast of rising actors/comedians. Stephen Rannazzisi (Breaking Dad) is “Kevin,” a happily married father and commissioner of the league. Katie Aselton (The Sea of Trees) plays “Jenny,” Kevin’s wife and his better half – especially when it comes to Fantasy Football. Mark Duplass (Togetherness) plays “Pete,” the perennial league champ who is struggling to become an adult. Jon Lajoie (Let’s Be Cops) is “Taco,” Kevin’s little brother, a part-time musician and full-time stoner with little interest in fantasy other than hanging with his buddies (whom he struggles to remember). Nick Kroll (Kroll Show) plays “Ruxin,” who believes he is the smartest of the group but can’t figure out how exactly the other guys are screwing him over. “Andre,” played by Paul Scheer (Fresh Off the Boat), has continued to be the punching bag of the group since their high school days – a fact that hasn’t changed despite the fact he is now a successful plastic surgeon.
What we think: A great way to relive the final season of the show that never failed to make me laugh hysterically. The episodes look great – a reminder that this is a show I never wanted to say good-bye to! The original aspect ratio remains here, so the episodes (all 13 of them) look as great here as they did on FXX over the Fall. This is the kind of DVD set you’ll want to watch over and over again – with the extras, there is still something new to discover and having this on your DVD shelf means you’ll never be without your favorite LEAGUE!
Tell me the details!!
- All 13 episodes of Season 7 (Approx 163 min run time)
- Aspect ratio: 1.78:1 widescreen format
- Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1
- English / French / Spanish / ESDH subtitles
- EXTENDED AND UNRATED EPISODES – This case is at their best when they can riff off of each other, and the extended and unrated episodes give an unfiltered look at their final year together.
- GAG REEL – Hilarious reel – these are some of the funniest people on TV!
- ALT NATION– a look at the alt takes throughout – so much improv and ad-libbing. Cool look into how many takes it takes to get the funniest laugh in the show!
- TACO TONES – short looks into some Taco-related music insanity from the season, like “Taco Making Tacos,” “Down by Lakeshore Drive,” and “Pete’s Your Papa.”
- DELETED SCENES – 11 scenes throughout – fun to watch together in one long montage!
Final thoughts: One of the funniest shows ever made comes to an end – you absolutely MUST put this on your shelf!!