Emmy Hopes 2009 – Lead Actor / Actress COMEDY
It’s Emmy time again! This week is always so exciting as the last minute predictions make their way around the internets. I just want to put it out there that I rarely agree with the Emmy voters on what’s funny and what I think is a dramatic performance worthy of accolades, but there are times when they’re right on the money. Here’s what I’m thinking I would love to hear come Emmy award nominations, announced Thursday, July 16, by Chandra Wilson and Jim Parsons (please note that I don’t know enough about the Miniseries to weigh in on those categories)!
Keep in mind that the ideas I express below are simply my opinion, and I realize that I’m totally neglecting some amazing perfomances, but this is what I would LOVE to see, not what I expect to see!
- Steve Carell, THE OFFICE – One scene strikes me as why he deserves a nom, and perhaps to win – the scene in the diner with Pam when he had just seen Holly and wondered if she still loved him. The reaction shot? Brilliant.
- Bret McKenzie / Jemaine Clement, FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS – How do you pick just one (which could work against them), but they are some of the funniest people on TV, almost without trying!
- Jay Harrington, BETTER OFF TED – He’s the straight man to the off the wall humor in this show, but he’s still got this Jason Bateman quality that makes him hilarious.
- Ken Marino, PARTY DOWN – Will it ever happen? Probably not, but he goes above and beyond for the sake of comedy.
- Lee Pace, PUSHING DAISIES – a girl can dream, right? He goes through every single emotion and it’s so lovely and heartbreaking, and intriguing, and everything it should be!
- Jim Parsons, THE BIG BANG THEORY – Along the way, Jim became the true breakout star of what was supposed to be Johnny Galecki’s show. Hopefully, he’s rewarded for it!
Probable spoilers: Charlie Sheen, TWO AND A HALF MEN; Tony Shalhoub, MONK; Alec Baldwin, 30 ROCK; Zach Braff, SCRUBS
- Christina Applegate, SAMANTHA WHO? – It’s too bad that this show was canceled. I wish more people had seen the perfection that Christina brings to the Samantha role!
- Toni Colette, UNITED STATES OF TARA – This one should be a lock, what with her having to play four different characters, and the fact that they’re all fantastic!
- Tina Fey, 30 ROCK – She’s pretty much funny all the time, but at the same time, she’s a totally relatable woman. She should score another Emmy, no problem!
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus, THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE – She’s fantastic, isn’t she? Totally self-deprecating in a hilarious way, she deserves a nomination!
- Mary-Louise Parker, WEEDS – There’s like this boredom and excitement behind her eyes at all times, and I’m fascinated by her!
- Alexandra Wentworth, HEAD CASE – the therapist to the stars – she’s got issues beyond compare and I think she’s hilarious!!
Probable spoilers: America Ferrara, UGLY BETTY; the women of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES
What do you think?